Web Statistics How do I get a copy of my SF-50? (two birds, one stone) - OhMyGov News

Follow Synoptos on      


How do I get a copy of my SF-50? (two birds, one stone)

By Bureaupat Jun 24 2009, 08:39 AM

Dear Bureaupat,

I worked for both US Customs and the FBI since 2000, however, when I have attempted to get a copy of my SF-50 from the National Archives Center they do not have my records. What can I do?

Dear Bureaupat,

I retired from the Border Patrol 12 years ago. I can't locate my last SF-50 directing my retirement. In order to apply for my Retired Border Patrol Identification that will allow me to carry a concealed weapon, I need a certified copy of my final SF-50 which is required as proof of retirement from the Border Patrol. Please direct me to the correct office that can help me.

Dear former feds seeking SF-50s,

I receive questions daily about this most important of documents to a federal employee, the SF-50 or “Notification of Personnel Action.” It's like a fed's social security card, only you shouldn't lose it or transfer it upon death to an illegal immigrant, even if you do share the same last name. 

The SF-50 is a permanent record in your Official Personnel Folder. It is the required form of notification for accessions, conversions, and separations (from government not your wife), and for corrections and cancellations of those actions. The form is also used to document and report all personnel actions except mass transfer and mass change actions. Simply put, it proves that you did indeed work where you said you worked as well as when and how much you were paid. I strongly recommend that every former federal employee request a copy of this form and keep it in your own personal records far from the reach of your dog, coffee cup, boiler, or car where it could be destroyed or lost.

How do you get it? If you are a recent retiree or job-changer and left federal employment within the last 90 days, you may be able to request a copy from the HR at your previous agency.

If HR is not able to help, then you may request a copy of your final SF-50, a complete copy of your official Personnel Folder (OPF), or certain other forms by writing to:

National Personnel Records Center, 111 Winnebago Street, St. Louis, MO 63118-4126

It is important to note that The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 USC 552a) and OPM requires a signed and dated written request for information from federal records. Only written requests for records may be made. No calls, emails or faxes regarding these requests will be accepted. At least someone's keeping the postal service afloat...

The only,

- Bureaupat


Read More Q&A from Bureaupat:

[+] Can I get my SF-50 and SF-8 processed quickly?

[+] My boss is a surly bastard. Can I get a transfer?

[+] What gifts does the president give and receive each year?

[+] I'm quitting my federal job. What happens to my annual leave?

[+] Why would HR ask for an SF-50 from a retired military member seeking federal employment?

[+] How do I change my TSP contribution?

[+] Can federal employees work part-time?

[+] How do I handle a death threat from an employee?

[+] What can I do if I'm terminated during a probation period?

[+] Can upper management make me save my leave?


Read More: Office Of Personnel Management (OPM), Pay And Benefits, Dear Bureaupat


August 5, 2009 7:01 PM

want copy of my SF-50

June 2, 2010 5:16 AM

How do i get this form if i was never a federal employee?

June 30, 2010 9:15 PM

Is there a website where I can get my latest SF-50? I'm a current Fed employee, but my HR dept is inept.

Mad Fed
July 1, 2010 6:03 PM

Once you could get copy from the National Finance Center Employee personal page, but after a recent update to the site i cannot seem to find it. Anyone know more?

December 26, 2010 5:43 AM

I am due for a step increase, but know one can tell me how to get a current SF50.

December 26, 2010 5:49 AM

I am under the impression that when I retire in a few months, I will be able to sell back my leave time and sinced I am in law enforcement, I can also sell back my sick time. Is this true?

June 24, 2011 10:46 AM

I recently requested my SF-50 from when I worked for OFI in 1990!  I was able to fax my request, but desperately need to follow-up, as I need this in order to get an official job offer at an Embassy in Europe.  Can't I call to follow-up, or will I be lost in the bureaucratic mess of the federal government?  Help!

tim beaton
August 1, 2011 6:18 PM

Your website rocks...right to the meat of the matter! Thankyou for this invaluable service.

October 1, 2011 8:06 PM

How do I get a SF-50 if i was never a federal employee?

November 9, 2011 1:33 PM

www.archives.gov/.../index.html  This website provides info to write or fax in your request for your documents.

For the person who was employed by the FBI - it is one of several agencies that do not send their files to the Archives.  You would need to contact your agency to obtain a copy of your SF50.

Raymond Moyher
January 8, 2012 5:00 PM

I need an sf-50 form to apply for a VA hospital job.

Raymond Moyher
January 8, 2012 5:00 PM

I need an sf-50 form to apply for a VA hospital job.

G. Harris
September 18, 2012 4:59 PM

I need an SF-50 to apply for a federal job.

harold eugene conwayjr.
October 25, 2012 11:43 AM

form for SF50












About OhMyGov!

A leader in social media analysis for politics & government

Read More
Press Coverage

OhMyGov! Feeds